6 more days to go... hope the excitement is rising as we approach closer to our running date! Our volunteers are working hard behind the scenes to provide you with an enjoyable running experience.Last Saturday we did another Half Marathon test run around Cholavaram Lake to finalize the trail. Photos can be found over here to get a better understanding of the trail.Ensure you have read carefully through the first prep email sent last week. This email does NOT replace the earlier email but provides additional need-to-know information:BIB Distribution venueRunners are to pick up their BIB and running kit this Saturday, Oct 19th @ Hotel HABLIS, Guindy, Chennai between 9am to 5pmThe hotel is located between Guindy Railway station and Kattipara junction. There is ample vehicle parking available.Runners must carry their original photo ID with themIn case you are not available, you can nominate a friend through this form. Your friend has to carry his original photo IDSpot registrations are possible at the venue for 600RsRunning VenueThe venue (assembly, vehicle parking, briefing, warm-up) for our marathon has been finalized as GOJAN School of Business and Technology. Google Map LinkFind below a map with route directions from Koyambedu
- From Koyambedu proceed along Jawaharlal Nehru inner ring road towards North of Chennai
- Proceed straight under the Padi fly-over
- Proceed left alongside the second fly-over and turn left onto National Highway 5 (Nellore Highway)
- Proceed straight and after crossing Red Hills (by-pass) take left onto SH114 (Tiruvallur Highway)
- Proceed straight 5km and take right turn towards GOJAN school
- Continue 1km along an uneven mud road towards the school
- Enter GOJAN school through main gate on left sideFull Marathon & Kids Run - participants are to use own transport. If you are facing difficulty to reach the venue, please email Rakesh.Half Marathon & 10K run (largest population) - we are facilitating car/bike pooling from 17 assembly points in city - register here.So far 100 runners have signed up for this. Others are assumed to manage transport on their own.Running TrailRunning will be along a 10.5 km track around Cholavaram lake and nearby forest on a 3m wide hard red soil trail. The finish point is the same as the starting point.
- 10K runners will be running 5K up and down
- Half Marathon runners will be running 10.5 K up and down
- Full Marathon runners will be running 10.5K up and down two rounds
- Kids will be running according to age category half distance up and down in the nearby Eucalyptus forests.Runners are requested to report sharp on time at below timings at the venue:
- Full Marathon - 4:30am
- Half Marathon - 5am
- 10K run - 5:30am
- Kids run - 7amSports physios from PASO will be providing warm-up and stretching before the start of the runSocial Cause40 less privileged kids from 2 homes (Anbu Illam & Child Home) will be participating in this kids runWe are looking for people who are willing to sponsor (part of) running shoes for these children.If you are interested to do so please submit this form.Running PopulationGender-wise headcount for 4 categoriesGender-wise age distribution for all categoriesCategory-wise age distribution
Stay and Accommodation
Runners from outstation and Chennaites are welcome to stay along with the volunteers at Gojan School of Business on Saturday Night. We will be doing open camping. If you are interested please bring a sleeping mat and bed sheet. Restrooms are available at the venue. This is free of cost.
Runners looking for Hotels nearby the venue can stay at SRM Grand. http://hotelsrmgrands.
com/ourlocations.html. From here the venue is around 15 kms. You may board anyone of our car pooling / arranged buses for HM / 10 K run category. FM runners who need transport arrangements please contact Rakesh.
Breakfast on the race day will be provided to all the runners post run from 8.00 a.m onwards. We will reserve food for FM and HM runners who will be finishing late.
Running TipsCarefully read through the tips below which will ensure a better running experience.1. Ensure that your toe nails are trimmed. Keep ready your race kit (t-shirt and shorts), hydration belt the previous night itself.2. If you are prone to chafing , apply Vaseline/petroleum jelly wherever muscle rubs(nipples, inner thighs). (Vaseline will be available at all refreshment points)3. Do not have anything unusual the night before the run.. You might like to have something very light like a banana or a slice of bread about 1 hour before the run.4. Please ensure to do dynamic stretch before and after the run. Our physio will be leading a warm up and cool down sessions. Post run walk for a while and do static stretches to relax your muscles.5.. Line yourself according to your estimated finishing time. Faster runners should line up in front and slower runners,joggers/ walkers should take their place at the back.6. Do not sprint. Pace yourself comfortably. You should be able to carry on a conversation while running.7. Do not obstruct the runners behind you. If you choose to slow down/ walk, move to the left of the trail ,giving way for the faster runners to overtake you.8. Hydrate yourself well but do not overhydrate. Do not gulp to much water all at once. Consume water sip by sip, just enough to replenish lost fluids. Along with water, also have some solids (biscuits/ bananas) and/ or electrolyte.9. Listen to your body. If for any reason you feel you cannot continue, there is no shame in throwing the towel. Please walk slowly to the nearest refreshment point and inform our volunteers that you need assistance. We have ambulance and Doctors in case of emergency.10. The run will be taking place in a very uneven surface on hard trail. It is NOT recommended to run barefoot or with Vibram five- fingers on this trail.11. Don't not through paper cups inside the lake. Use the waste bins kept near the refreshment points12. Don't not get inside the water body during the run.
13. The Refreshment points will have plain water + gatorade + lemon + salt + peanuts + pain killer sprays
ContactsIn case of any specific clarifications or queries please contact:Rakesh - 9944845458Prabakar - 9840130464